Virtual meetings and how to improve them with these tips
The virtual meetings They are becoming more and more popular in the workplace as they are a great way to save time and money. However, they have their own challenges. For example, do you want to know how to be more productive in these meetings to get the most out of them? Here are six must have tips.
Virtual meetings: advantages and facilities of using them for productivity
Statistics don’t lie. According to a Logitech study compiled by Digital in the Round, today 76% of people are using video calls for remote work. This boom is thanks to the growth of several platforms that encourage connectivity, such as:
- Microsoft Teams.
- Skype for Business.
- Google Meet etc.
Its use allows share the internet as a common space to meet, instead of traveling to and from physical locations. Thus, among the benefits of virtual meetings, the following could be highlighted:
- Reduced time loss. The physical act of arriving at a meeting room can easily take 10 or 15 minutes, something that can be avoided thanks to virtuality.
- tighter schedules. People recognize that video meetings can be surprisingly exhausting. Which is why most teams want to keep them as short as possible.
- less small talk. Kindness is good; however, when you attend a space with a time limit, you should make the most of it.
- More inclusive workplaces for those who cannot travel. This increases the participation of those experiencing mobility restrictions. This is how it provides access to people with minor health problems, who are caring for children, among others.
Environmentally friendly. It is a factor that is rarely taken into account, but that contributes greatly to the planet. Opting for a virtual meeting instead of traveling is one way to decrease a company’s carbon footprint.
Tips to be more productive in virtual meetings
Virtual meetings are a fast growing, real time method. Indeed, these are used to manage meetings, discuss projects and interact with clients. If you want to get the most out of it, you can do it in the following way:
If everything squares with advance time, what can go wrong? Prepare an agenda before your virtual meeting and make sure all your team members receive it beforehand. In this way, you will have enough time to:
- Contact you with any items they think should be added.
- Prepare for what needs to be discussed or come to the meeting with questions.
2. Set a clear goal
Effective virtual meetings bring you and your team closer to achieving SMART goals. In this way, the chances of success increase substantially if the agenda establishes what is to be achieved.
3. Don’t go on longer than necessary
For example, instead of letting conversations go on for what seems like forever, check off certain topics to consider as an upcoming meeting. Also, while hour long meetings are common, some experts argue that 30 minutes is the perfect duration.
4. Deliverables and steps to follow
Your team members need to leave the video call room with concrete action items. They can even develop these documents as the meeting progresses. Either way, effective virtual meetings always lead to action itemsthe results of which should be discussed at the next meeting.
5. Turn off your notifications
Surely you want to be aware of everything. However, to perform effective meetings that perform during that half hour, it is important that they take 100% of your attention. That’s why you should disable notifications and remind your team to do the same.
6. Send a meeting follow up and ask for feedback
Efficient meetings require feedback. It is best to send an email to the participants so that it is clear what is expected of them. And make sure collect feedback everyone and answer any follow up questions your attendees may have.
Without a doubt, increasing the productivity of your online meetings is easier than it seems. By following these steps, you will enjoy virtual meetings more efficient and keep everyone on the same page.