Benefits of digital storytelling in current education
Surely at some time you have been surprised by a story that they told you; This art of persuading and capturing attention through narration is called storytelling. Today, making use of ICT, the educational sector also uses this resource and is known as digital storytelling.
What exactly does the term refer to? The essence of storytelling is maintained, as it seeks to attract the attention of the public. But digital storytelling it differentiates itself because it uses social networks and ICTs to tell stories.
In this new form of digital storytelling, it is common to use photos, videos and short texts. Also, make use of applications and various web tools to tell stories that are not necessarily linear. In today’s education it has a fundamental role, as it enhances technological skills in students.
For this reason, today we tell you about its importance, how to apply this strategy and its benefits in the classroom.
why use the digital storytelling in the classroom?
Digital storytelling manages to arouse emotions in students, making them learn comfortably, with less effort. In addition, it increases their creativity and trains their digital skills. It is one of the most attractive educational innovation tools today.
There are concepts or content that are not easily assimilated, hence the importance of having different tools that facilitate the acquisition of knowledge. For example, through digital narratives you can raise reflections on complex political issues such as immigration.
What finally gives the digital storytelling It is the possibility of narrating stories to transmit a reality that is linked to a previous content established in a curricular program.
In other words, we avoid dense and confusing content and clarify terms with simple and fun stories. Since we know that you are passionate about technology, we want to show you how to apply digital storytelling in the classroom and the benefits it brings.
How to apply digital storytelling in the classroom?
It is possible to create several types of stories to teach a topic or concept:
- Personal: Personal stories serve to promote creative writing. They can be real or fictitious, the fact is that they have elements that hook.
- Narratives of historical events: For both teachers and students, narrating historical milestones helps to analyze and then reflect on them. They can be accompanied with videos, photos, images, old press headlines, etc.
- Instructive stories: serve to expose processes and content.
Here we will tell you in a few steps how to create the digital narrative you want:
- Define the idea and write it down: great projects start with a good idea. It can be something current, a question, a value, a specific topic. Then, you have to investigate the topic and synthesize it with diagrams. Finally, you must write it and give it a common thread.
- Draw the script: the images, videos and audios that will be used must be captured in a script.
- Produce the story: you have already selected the tools, now you have to record the voiceover, be clear about what music it will have and the statistics and illustrations.
- Share It: Share the narrative in class and on social media. This succeeds in motivating students, especially since they can receive feedback. Also because classmates will be able to contribute innovative ideas for future digital narratives in class or on their networks.
Do you want to know the benefits of incorporating digital narratives in education? We present the most important ones.
Benefits of digital storytelling
The new ways of teaching bring with them multiple benefits. Away from conventional forms, they seek to create closeness and identification in the students.
That is, you will make others know that this story has to do with them, that it is moving. In short: narratives that manage to arouse empathy towards other people. These are the main benefits:
- Better communication: both for the teacher and for the students, the digital narrative allows them to transmit messages in a more forceful way. Students learn vocabulary, grammar and gain a foothold in the use of new technologies using digital tools.
- Boosts Creativity: By using various mediums to tell their stories, students put aside fear and experiment, using all their imaginative capacity.
- Active students: with social networks and the use of technology, students are no longer passive. They can create their own content based on their feelings, share it and learn based on the feedback they receive.
As you can see, innovation has taken over the classrooms. The use of digital storytelling in education achieves active learning. The resources for teachers and students will allow them to put all their creativity into practice. We can learn anything in a fun way through exciting, close stories that have to do with what happens to us every day. Finally, that is what hooks us to certain stories: that we identify with what is narrated. And they help us learn something new every day. Now that you know all the digital storytellingwe invite you to put it into practice to teach and learn in a more enjoyable and fun way.